Superpower Green Juice
By Kait Turshen of Bubble Girl Bakes
We can't all feel like Super Woman every day of the week...
I woke up this morning not feeling like my usual 100% Bubble self. I'm fully blaming this on global warming and the polar vortex. The weather this winter has been wacky, to say the least, with 40 degrees and sunshine one day to wind chills of below zero the next. Translation: prime time for cold & flu.
So when I woke up this morning with a bit of a sniffly nose and sore throat, I got all super foods on my breakfast: fresh mint tea, a dish of organic pomegranate seeds, a few Blueberry Explosion Mini Muffins [No Sugar Added, of course], and my not-feeling-so-hot go-to, Superpower Green Juice.
So which foods in my breakfast were super foods and why?
- Tea-want to lower your cholesterol and inhibit cancer? Just replace that sugar-filled quad venti latte with this sip-able powerhouse.
- Pomegranate-these juicy seeds are packed with potassium, vitamin C, polyphenols and vitamin B6; they're also said to have 2-3 times the antioxidant punch of green tea or red wine!
- Blueberries-this fruit's resume is top-of-the-pack with impressive stats like antioxidants, phytoflavinoids, potassium, and vitamin C, not to mention their anti-inflammatory powers and ability to lower the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Spinach-Vitamin C, beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin. Need I say more? And don't forget the copious amounts of Vitamin K and iron found in this friendly, green monster!
- Chia-these tiny wonders are a great to get your healthy omega-3's, fiber, and calcium.
Just a few sips and nibbles later, I'm already feeling back to my Super Woman self. The powers of super foods are amazing. Never forget you are what you eat, Bubble friends!
Superpower Green Juice
Prep time: 5 minutes | Total time: 10 minutes | Servings: 1 juice
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup green tea, chilled*
- 1 cup ice
- 1 scoop allergy friendly protein powder
- 1 tablespoon white chia seed
- 2 fresh mint leaves
- ¼ teaspoon stevia [optional]
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Pour into a chilled glass and slurp away!
*Not such a green tea fan? You can easily substitute green tea for your herbal fave. My favorite is Yerba Mate Empower Mint paired with Egyptian Licorice Mint.
Per serving: Calories 190; Fat: 3g; Carbohydrates 7g [Fiber 7g, Sugar 1g]; Protein: 28g
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, peanut free, tree nut free, corn free, legume free, refined sugar free, vegan and Paleo*.
*You can easily make this recipe Paleo by using Paleo-friendly protein powder.
Brand-bassador Bubble Girl
I'm loving these brands for this recipe, and you should too:
- Growing Naturals Vanilla Blast Protein Powder
- Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Spinach
- Nutiva Organic White Chia Seed
- Yogi Egyptian Licorice Mint
- Guayaki Yerba Mate Pure Empower Mint
- SweetLeaf Stevia Sweetener