Green smoothies are the new coffee. You can quote me on that. Well.. Coffee is not going anywhere fast. But green smoothies are coming in hot. Just you wait.
And for good reason too. They’ll actually give you more energy than coffee can.
Oh, did I get your attention?
Let me break it down for you. First, a definition: A green smoothie is when you blend dark leafy greens with other vegetables or fruit with a liquid and ice. Green smoothies are one of the best ways to get amazing nutrition and a steady energy boost at any time of the day.
If this is your first foray into the green smoothie, here’s a good starter recipe that will have you buzzing with energy—mainly due to one special ingredient: maca root, a superfood known for increasing stamina and boosting energy. By the way, kale—another main ingredient—is known for doing the same thing. Overall, this smoothie is full of amazing nutrients, protein and healthy fats to fuel whatever your day will bring.
The Power Up Green Smoothie
[for green smoothie beginners]
- 4-5 stalks kale, spinach or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 banana
- 2 teaspoons hemp protein powder (optional, I love this one)
- 1-2 teaspoons cashew butter (or peanut/almond or a handful of nuts of your choice) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 medjool date, pit removed
- Sprinkle of unsweetened cocoa nibs
- In a blender, combine all ingredients except the cocoa nibs with 1 cup water. Blend.
- Add ice, and continue to blend until smooth.
- If you prefer thicker smoothies, add less water; If you like a thinner consistency, add more water.
- If you want it sweeter, add 1-2 dates, a splash of real vanilla extract or a small handful of your favorite fruit.
- Sprinkle with cocoa nibs to serve.