Go For The Gold
Our Olympic obsession is hitting a fever pitch right about now—we're ready for the games, the glory, the beach volleyball on Copacabana's sandy beach. What better way to get into the spirit than with a little glint of 24k gold?
It's a skincare trend that is also hitting a buzz-worthy frequency right now. Using honest-to-goodness gold in potent skincare formulas is a way to supercharge products' ability to reduce inflammation (the number-one villian in the fight against acne and premature aging) and lend — you guessed it — an other-worldly glow. Some critics argue that injecting gold into already powerful formulas is gilding the lily (and raising the price tag astronomically), but fans of the gold-as-beauty-secret school cite the use of colloidal gold as a deeply theraputic rheumatoid arthritis treatment as proof of its worth. Is it clinically proven? Studies are still being performed. But science-forward beauty brands like Chantecaille and Peter Thomas Roth, who develop products with serious lab cred, are dedicating research to it, and we trust their ability to discern fluff from function.
In addition to gold-flecked serums and heavy-metal powered masks, the high-luster shine of gold is also a super-hot-right-now beauty trend, with metallic lids sailing down the runway at many fall 2016 shows. Whether you go full-scale and shine on like a crazy diamond or choose to to highlight along the cheekbones and bridge of the nose with gold luminizer for a subtle sheen, there's no doubt you'll score a perfect 10 (no judges needed).
1. Sally Hershberger 24K Texturizing Paste, $40 Hershberger's signature piece-y, mussed-up style is easily acheived when you use the super-stylist's golden pearl-infused paste.
2. Spring Golden Waves Sea Salt Spray, $28 Go full-on mermaid with this mica-infused beach spray, which highlights all hair tones with subtle shimmer.
3. Chantecaille Gold Eye Recovery Mask, $195 A seaweed-based formula infused with firming 24k gold makes this genius gel eye mask an instant brightening tool for tired mornings.
4. Peter Thomas Roth 24K Gold Mask, $80 Colloidal and 24k gold partner to pump this mask with hydrating, firming properties. Skin is left glowing and luminous.
5. Stila Foil Finish Eye Shadow, $32 For a megawatt metallic effect, this high-shine foil eyeshadow can be layered to build a super-intense runway look.
6. Tatcha Carmellia Beauty Oil, $95 Geishas have relied on gold for centuries to add luminosity to their perfect skin. This nourishing oil features flecks of 24k gold to aid in inflammation and leave skin glowing.